The Laboratory of Metabolomics was established in 2021 and its present research profile comprises:
(1) genetic, physiological and biochemical characterisation of toxic/invasive freshwater cyanobacteria;
(2) bioremediation of freshwaters from cyanotoxins;
(3) determination and characterisation of secondary metabolites of cyanobacteria and lichens;
(4) mechanisms of interactions of freshwater cyanophages with cyanobacteria;
(5) synthetic biology of cyanobacteria for the production of microcystinase.
The most principal research techniques exploited in the Laboratory are: molecular tools for cloning and heterologous expression in bacteria and cyanobacteria, RT qPCR, photochemical measurements of PSI and PSII, HPLC and LC-MS. We have also a laboratory background for cyanobacteria culture and spectroscopic measurements (UV/VIS and fluorescence).